Saturday, June 30, 2012

Week 26: Sandhill Peach Pound Cake


















Once again I turned to my Taste of the South's Southern Cakes magazine for this week's cake.  Peaches are in abundance right now in the grocery stores and produce stands.  The ones I purchased are ripe and so very, very sweet!
My birthday was a week ago and my dear friend, Robbin, invited me to her lovely porch for lunch and sweet fellowship on Monday.  She spent time praying over me before we ate and the tears flowed as she prayed.  I love to hear Robbin pray.  She shared that her family was going camping this week and I knew I wanted to make this week's cake for her precious family.

Sandhill Peach Pound Cake

1 cup butter, softened
2 cups sugar
4 large eggs
3 1/4  cups all purpose flour, divided
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon butter flavoring
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 teaspoon  lemon extract
3 cups sliced or diced fresh peaches





















Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 10-inch bundt pan with nonstick baking spray with flour (or lightly grease and flour pan).  Set aside.
In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.  Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
In another bowl, combine 3 cups flour, baking powder, and salt.  Add flour mixture in 3 batches, alternately with buttermilk, beginning and ending with flour.  Add butter flavoring and extracts, beating at medium speed until well combined and creamy.  Set aside.
Toss peaches in remaining 1/4 cup flour to coat thoroughly.  With peaches running at lowest speed, add peaches to batter, blending just enough to incorporate.  Spoon batter into prepared pan.
Bake until cake is golden brown and a cake tester inserted near the center comes out clean, 1 hour to 1 hour 25 minutes. (I baked mine in 2 loaf pans and the baking time was one hour and ten minutes.)
Let cool in pan for 15-20 minutes before turning out onto a cake plate.
























David gave this cake a "Thumbs-Up" which means I will definitely be making it again.
Happy Baking!
Enjoy!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment