Saturday, September 1, 2012

Week 35: Root Beer Bundt Cake

A fond memory I have of my childhood is my dad taking our family to the A&W Drive-In restaurant.  There were three sizes of frosty glass mugs they would serve root beer in... my dad would get the largest, my mom the medium size and my sister and I would get the small mugs.  They actually brought the glass mugs to our car!  They also had three different size burgers as I recall.





















 Root beer has always been a favorite drink in our home so when I saw the Root Beer Bundt Cake on Eggs, Cream and Honey I knew I had to bake it.  My bundt pan is on its last leg, though, so I baked it in three round cake pans.  I think the bundt pan would be better because the icing was not a thick icing (I used all the powdered sugar I had) so my layers weren't very stable (i.e. they slid around).


















Root beer Bundt Cake
(source: eggs, cream and honey)


2 cups root beer
 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup unsalted butter, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
2 cups plain flour
1 1/4tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs (at room temperature)

Preheat oven to 325f. Spray inside of a 10″ bundt pan with non-stick cooking spray or butter and dust with flour.
In small saucepan, heat the root beer, cocoa powder, and butter over medium heat until butter is melted. Add the sugars and whisk until dissolved. Remove from heat and cool.
In a large bowl, whisk the flour, baking soda and salt.
In a small bowl, whisk the eggs until just beaten, then whisk them into cooled cocoa mixture until combined. Gently fold the flour mixture into the cocoa mixture. The batter will be slightly lumpy-do NOT over beat, as it will cause cake to be tough.
Pour batter into prepared bundt pan and bake for 35-40 min, rotating the pan half way through baking time, until a sharp knife inserted into cake comes out clean. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. Gently loosen sides of pan and turn it out onto rack.


For the Root Beer Fudge Frosting:
2 oz semi-sweet chocolate melted
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup root beer
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
2 1/2 cups powdered sugar

 To make the frosting: Put all ingredients in a food processor. Pulse in short bursts until the frosting is shiny and smooth. Use a spatula to spread the frosting over the top of the bundt in a thick layer. Let the frosting set before serving with a dollop of vanilla ice cream on the side.
















I am looking forward to Fall and baking cakes with apples, pumpkin and spices.  Thirty-five cakes down and only seventeen to go!  Have you baked any of the cakes on 52 Weeks of Cakes?  If so, which one?  What have you been baking in your kitchen?

Happy September!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment