Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Week 3: Mississippi Mud Cake

Greetings! I thought I'd let you know one of my main purposes for this blog before I share the next cake and recipe. Several people have asked if we are going to eat 52 cakes this year and if we have a good exercise program. : ) No! We are not going to eat 52 cakes!!! I cannot eat them due to a health condition and David has cut back on his sweets. Each week, so far, we have had opportunity to share the cakes with others or take to an event. This week I volunteered to bring dessert to our small group meeting. So you will not see us, hopefully, gaining a lot of weight due to eating 52 cakes. If you live in the area and would like one of the cakes I bake - just let me know. We'd be glad to share! So, back to my purpose. I wanted to have a place to put my recipes so that years from now they will be accessible to Bethany and our future daughter-in-laws.
I have always loved to bake, whether I can eat it or not. Even though Bethany is in the middle of college classes right now, there will be a day when she will want to bake a cake for her family and friends and she will be able to come here and find just the right one.
The cake I baked this week is also from a cookbook we received as a wedding gift. It is easy to make and quite delicious.

Mississippi Mud Cake

Ingredients:
















1 cup butter (2 sticks)
1/2 cup cocoa
2 cups sugar
4 eggs, slightly beaten
1 and 1/2 cups flour
pinch of salt
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla
miniature marshmallows
Chocolate Frosting

Melt butter and cocoa together. Remove from heat, let cool ten minutes and stir in sugar and eggs, mixing well. Add flour, salt, nuts and vanilla; mix well. Spoon batter into a greased 13x9x2 inch pan and bake at 350 degrees for 35-45 minutes. Sprinkle marshmallows on top of the warm cake.
















Cover with Chocolate Frosting:

1 (16 ounce) box powdered sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/3 cup cocoa
4 tablespoons butter, softened

Combine all ingredients and mix until smooth, spoon over marshmallows and spread. Frosting will harden as it cools.

















Happy Baking!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment