Monday, January 9, 2012

Week Two: Million Dollar Pound Cake

Welcome to 52 Weeks of Cakes!
For week 2 I decided to make a family favorite. Bethany heads back to college today and I wanted to make a cake that was easy to send along with her... Million Dollar Pound Cake.


I discovered this delicious and easy recipe in a Southern Living magazine early in our marriage and have been baking it ever since.
In the fall of 1996 a woman asked me to bake Gingerbread Men to sell at a holiday bazaar. I asked her if I could make pound cakes instead. She said, "Yes!" So I baked ten Million Dollar pound cakes and ten chocolate pound cakes. I was pleasantly surprised when they
all sold and I had orders for many more before that Christmas.
I hope you will add this recipe to your recipe file and let me know if you bake it!

Million Dollar Pound Cake

1 pound butter (4 sticks, room temperature)
3 cups sugar
6 eggs
4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Cream butter in a large mixing bowl; gradually add sugar, beating well at medium speed of an electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
Add flour to creamed mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour. Mix just until blended after each addition. Stir in flavorings.
Pour batter into a greased and floured 10 inch bundt pan. Bake at 325 for one hour and ten minutes or until a wooden pick or wire cake tester inserted in cake comes out clean.
Cool cake in pan 10-15 minutes; remove cake from pan and let cool completely before covering.

Enjoy!
Happy Baking!
Julie

No comments:

Post a Comment