Friday, May 18, 2012

Week 20: Cream Cheese-Cherry Vanilla Pound Cake

The other day, while in line at the grocery store, a magazine caught my eye...


 I had not heard of Taste of the South Magazine before I brought this one home.  Have you?  There are so many cakes in this magazine that I am looking forward to baking.
Today was especially fun as my precious daughter, Bethany Louise, helped me bake this week's cake.  She is home from college for the remainder of the month; but will leave the first week of June to serve with Worldview Academy.  I loved having her help me!  She did most of the work... I just chopped the cherries for the Cream Cheese-Cherry Vanilla Pound Cake.
This cake has already gotten rave reviews in my house. We will be taking part of it to our dear neighbor, who just celebrated his 75th birthday and loves it when we bring him goodies from our kitchen.
Our Samuel graduated from high school last Saturday. We are having a celebration for him Sunday afternoon.  If there is any cake remaining, on Sunday, I will slice it to go with the other desserts.


Let me encourage you to bake this cake!  It would be wonderful for a little girl's birthday party.  Nicole, from Puttin' on the G.R.I.T.S. blog baked one and added a cherry glaze and cherries for garnish (so cute!)  Even if you have all boys - bake this cake.  My guys LOVE it!



Cream Cheese-Cherry Vanilla Pound Cake
Source:  Taste of the South Magazine

1 1/2 cups butter, softened
8 oz cream cheese, softened
3 cups sugar
5 large eggs, room temperature
3 1/4 all purpose flour, divided
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 10oz jars maraschino cherries, drained and chopped (save the juice, if you are going to make the glaze or if you plan on adding it to your favorite soft drink or limeade. : ) )
1 vanilla bean, scraped and reserved (I used 2 teaspoons vanilla extract)

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Lightly grease and flour a 10 cup Bundt pan.
2. In a large bowl, beat butter and cream cheese until creamy.  Add sugar, beating until fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each one.
3. In another bowl, sift together 3 cups of flour, baking powder, and salt.  Gradually add, one cup at a time, of flour mixture to butter mixture until combined.
4. Toss chopped cherries with 1/4 cup flour.  Add to batter and gently stir.  Add vanilla bead seeds. Stir.
5. Spoon into bundt pan and gently tap on counter to release any air bubbles.
6. Bake approximately 1 hour 20 minutes or until wooden pick comes out clean.





7. Let cake cool in pan 10-15 minutes. Turn it out onto your cake plate.



Enjoy!
Happy Baking!
Julie



No comments:

Post a Comment